- Does this hypothesis make sense – that aliens are trying to send messages to us?
- Should Earth send messages to space in the hope that aliens can find us?
Which of these do you believe?
- The Sun is yellow
- The Sahara is the biggest desert on Earth
- Astrology can predict your personality or the future
- When you call someone, the signal bounces off a satellite
- The Great Wall of China is the only man-made structure visible from space
- The moon’s gravity pulling on water causes the tides
- Lightning never strikes the same place twice
- The Earth is a perfect sphere
- Mount Everest is the tallest thing on Earth
- Water conducts electricity
- The “dark side” of the Moon
- Tectonic plates move because volcanism pushes them apart
- Going past the edge of space makes you weightless
- Diamonds come from coal
- People in the Middle Ages thought the Earth was flat
- Summer is warm because the Earth is closer to the sun
- Lightning causes thunder
- The Asteroid Belt is dangerous
- The moon is very close to the Earth
- You can only balance an egg during the Spring Equinox
- A nuclear weapon could destroy an asteroid
- Nothing can go faster than light
- The vacuum of space is cold
- Enrico Fermi developed the “Fermi paradox” about aliens
- There are only 3 phases of matter: Solid, liquid, and gas
- Why is important to learn science?
- What are some problems if people have wrong scientific ideas?
- Is scientific progress always good?
A flower-shaped spacecraft may help scientists see Earth-like alien worlds like never before.
Called a “starshade,” the huge, sunflower-like spacecraft would deploy to its full size in space, blocking the light of distant stars so that a space-based telescope can image exoplanets in orbit around the stars. With this technology, researchers could directly image other worlds and potentially find long sought-after Earth twins, a historically difficult task for alien planet hunters.
- Should governments invest money in space exploration? Why?
- Do you think it is possible to find aliens in our lifetime?