Set in 2007, the resulting 1987 video followed around an environmental science professor at Berkely juggling everything from preparing a lecture to buying a birthday cake for his father.
To get it all done, he relies on his digital personal butler – the bowtie-wearing, hypothetical grandfather of modern assistants like Siri, Cortana, Alexa, Bixby, and Google Assistant.
During the nearly six-minute vignette, the professor videoconferences with a colleague, researches journal articles on deforestation in the Amazon, and updates his busy schedule, all on one touch screen tablet.
“At the time we came out with it, it was incredibly controversial,” Sculley said. “People said, ‘Well, this is absurd.’”
- Have all the predictions about the future come true?
- Is the future envisioned by your parents’ generation the reality now?
- Why are people skeptical of predictions?
- Are they right to be skeptical?
- What happens if people are not skeptical?
- Is it better to be a believer or a doubter (in future possibilities)?
- What do you think will happen in the future?
Ultimately, the researchers are working toward creating an artificial womb that could sustain premature human babies. Preemies haven’t had time to fully develop in the womb and, therefore, are at a higher risk of health problems throughout their life.
- What are the implications for humans?
- Have you watched The Matrix? Would this dystopia become reality?
- Do you think this design will become more popular in time to come?
Read here: http://www.businessinsider.sg/giant-infrastructure-projects-around-the-world-2016-11/
- What are the effects these structures have on the environment, the economy, people etc?
- Will this be the new way after the selfie stick?
- What are some positive uses of this?
- What are some problems that this could lead to?
- Did you notice that the team that built this is Asian? Listen to their English. Can you tell where they are from?
- Do you think this appliance is truly innovative and useful?
- Who might (be seduced to) buy this?
- How truthful are advertisements?
- Do you do any of these things?
- Do you feel your sleep has been affected since you started using mobile phones?
- How far would you agree with these claims?
- Are there other things people could do to reduce the impact of technology on their health?
Read here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/drumi-the-foot-powered-washing-machine-design-green#/
- Who is this suitable for?
- Would you use this?
- Why might it not be very practical?
- What are some other advantages/disadvantages of this?